Prepare Your Landscape for Spring
After the last snow has melted, it’s time to clean up all the accumulated debris from you lawn. You want to help your landscape get off to a healthy start by doing the following:
- Remove all leaves and other plant debris such as sticks and dead plants.
- Aerate damaged areas by turning over dirt and removing plugs of dirt.
- Mow the lawn about 30 percent shorter than you would normally.
- Apply seed, lime or starter fertilizer according to manufacturer instructions.
- Cover all patches with peat moss or mulch.
- Thoroughly water your lawn and keep it consistently moist for two to four weeks.
- Fertilize again after four weeks.